Skip to content

Archive for

July 1989 Reopening

May 31, 2015


Carolee Michener wrote an article on the Mill reopening 7/11/1989 in which she said: An open house is planned Saturday at the Old Emlenton Mill, marking the official opening of the renovated facility and the introduction of new shops at the Main street establishment. In addition to Eugene Terwilliger’s hardware store and the canoe rentals which have been part of the Mill for many years, the rest of the facility has been renovated to accommodate the Mill Shops, crafts stores on the main floor of the Mill, and Mill Antiques on the second floor. Another feature is Jellie’s which opened on May 13th, and has been enjoying a good deli business, selling subs, a variety of salads, cheese, candy and soft frozen yogurt. Operated by Susan and Daniel Terwilliger the shop is open until 9pm.

Source: The News Herald of Franklin 7/11/1989

1989 07 11 Mill Jellies


May 30, 2015


Carolee Michener writing for the News Herald of Franklin says: Terwilliger is also pleased about his long association with Raddison Canoes which he has for sale or rent. They come in on trucks with the logo Sportspal, which is a familiar name in Emlenton. Canoes were manufactured there (Emlenton) with that name until the plant burned. The Canadian firm which originated the canoe puts them out under two names and the Raddison has all the fine features of a good canoe. The (Emlenton Mill) company is banking on the nostalgia of the old Mill setting to bring interested people into downtown Emlenton and also to attract tenants for the structure.

Source: The News Herald of Franklin 4/3/1989

2015 05 30 blog sportspal

More History

May 29, 2015


Carolee Michener writing for the News Herald of Franklin says: The buildings will be insulated and heating systems are planned on each floor. A brick chimney goes from the basement to the roof, making it possible to tie in heat on each floor. The full basement under the Mill has large stone walls. The Mill was erected by Cochran and Bennett in 1875 as a flour mill. On January 1. 1889, The Emlenton Milling Company was organized with A Cochran, W.J. McConnell and Albert Cochran. During World War II, the Mill was used for storage by the Bantam Company and by Quaker State Refinery. In 1946 it returned to operation as a mill, grinding feed, Eugene Terwilliger was miller and he recalled he worked there two years, until 1948 when he bought the business. He continued to operate it as a mill until 1974.

Source: The News Herald of Franklin 4/3/1989

2015 05 29 blog 1989 08 25 Mill Front

Canoe Rentals

May 28, 2015


Carolee Michener writing for the News Herald of Franklin quotes Bill Stump saying Mr. and Mrs Dan Terwilliger will be opening the soft ice cream shop which will also feature sandwiches and specialty items. She goes on to say: There was a lot of complex works in the Mill, which continued to operate into the 1970’s, and they are fortunate to have this all in place, providing interest to visitors who want to learn more about this hub of community life. Canoe sales and rentals which have been handled through the hardware store (Mill Main Street storefront) for many years will continue and emphasis on the Allegheny River is expected to be a big plus for visitors. The Barnard House Bed and Breakfast is only 25 steps from the Mill, overlooking the river. The fourth floor of the Mill also offers a particularly spectacular view of the waterway.

Source: The News Herald of Franklin 4/3/1989

2015 05 28 blog Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 10.56.49 AM2015 02 22 blog view

1916 Nostalgia

May 27, 2015


This is one of Nancy’s favorite stories.

1916 nostalgia jpg0205 2006 05 0330 WAGON

1980’s Equipment Restoration

May 26, 2015


2015 05 26 blog 0305 1989 07 15 Mill Twig2015 05 26 blog 0306 1989 11 07 Mill Inside

1989 Ice Cream Parlor

May 25, 2015


Carolee Michener writing for a newspaper states that the Mill was never out of use since it was erected in 1875. She characterized the 1989 renovation as designed to keep the Mill works intact but utilize the space available for visits from tourists, shops and food. She says Twig will continue to operate the hardware store Emco Mills, which was on Main street. At this time the millers house, Amy’s Closet, was still part of the Mill. They expected an ice cream parlor to open shortly. (I believe that was in the other main street storefront.)

2015 05 25 blog 0303 1989 04 03 Mill Machines2015 05 25 blog 0304 1989 07 11 Mill Article

1980’s Renovation

May 24, 2015


In the 1980’s Eugene “Twig” Terwilliger President (left) and William Stump Vice President (right) of the Old Emlenton Milling Company set about to renovate the Mill. It was a daunting task. Bill Stump, from whom we purchased the Mill in 2005, told me they took fifty five dump truck loads of old grain out of the mill and just as many truckloads of old appliances Twig had saved for parts during the time he ran the hardware store out of the main street storefront. The picture of the first floor shows the view from the second street door looking to where we put the ice cream shop. The big feed mixer can bee seen on the right. Twig is sitting in an old pumpers chair.

2015 05 24 blog 0301 Mill 1st fl Sentry2015 05 24 blog 0302 1989 04 03 Mill Chair

Electric Mill

May 23, 2015


As the agrarian life style changed prior to World War II, so did the need for flours and grains. During the war. the building took on renewed importance for storage of wartime industrial supplies. Quaker State stored barrels of motor oil here and the Bantam Car Company of Butler kept parts for their Army trailers on the premises. Upon the conclusion of the war, Edward McAfee, as the McAfee Feed and Supply Company, restored the milling operation and converted to electric power. Eugene “Twig” Terwilliger worked there as miller prior to his purchase of the business in the late 1940’s and renamed it Emco Mills. As the local supplied dwindled, grains were hauled to the site by rail. Milling ceased here in 1974. The Mill reopened in the 1980’s as a showcase for antique and craft shops.

Source: A Stroll Through Historic Emlenton June 1997

0108 Mill small garageEmlenton Mill front view

Gas Fired Mill

May 22, 2015


The 1895 Emlenton Industrial Souvenir describes the Mill as follows: “The main four story frame structure is 80 x 40 feet, the engine and boiler house is 60 x 30 feet and a large office has been added to the front of the structure. The motive power is furnished by an 80- horsepower boiler and the machinery is driven by a 70- horsepower engine of the latest improved pattern. A private switch running from the main track of the Allegheny Valley Railroad has been added for shipments” At that time the Mill’s boilers were fueled by natural gas of the Emlenton Gas Light and Heat Company- gas which flowed from the Agnew wells in Richland township through pipes laid along the former right-of-way of the Emlenton, Shippenville, and Clarion Railroad. With the Mill producing high grade flours and feeds in greater quantity than before, the growth of all kinds of grain was encouraged in the area. Farmers were given the option of exchanging their grain for flour or being paid in cash. It was not unusual to see as many as ten teams lined up to load flour and feed or unload grain at the side of the Mill.

Source: A Stroll Through Historic Emlenton June 1997

2015 05 22 blog Emlenton Gas, Light and Fuel Co.