May 22, 2015
The 1895 Emlenton Industrial Souvenir describes the Mill as follows: “The main four story frame structure is 80 x 40 feet, the engine and boiler house is 60 x 30 feet and a large office has been added to the front of the structure. The motive power is furnished by an 80- horsepower boiler and the machinery is driven by a 70- horsepower engine of the latest improved pattern. A private switch running from the main track of the Allegheny Valley Railroad has been added for shipments” At that time the Mill’s boilers were fueled by natural gas of the Emlenton Gas Light and Heat Company- gas which flowed from the Agnew wells in Richland township through pipes laid along the former right-of-way of the Emlenton, Shippenville, and Clarion Railroad. With the Mill producing high grade flours and feeds in greater quantity than before, the growth of all kinds of grain was encouraged in the area. Farmers were given the option of exchanging their grain for flour or being paid in cash. It was not unusual to see as many as ten teams lined up to load flour and feed or unload grain at the side of the Mill.
Source: A Stroll Through Historic Emlenton June 1997